Dr Krishna Adhikari
Sr Researcher, Centre for Nepal Studies UK
[Was Executive Director 2010-2011]
Dr Krishna Adhikari, is a Sr Researcher, and was the Executive Director (2010-2011) of Centre for Nepal Studies UK (CNSUK). He is a fulltime Research Fellow at the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology (ISAC), University of Oxford for a research related to Nepal. He was also a research associate project (AHRC-ESRC-funded, 2009-2012) on 'Vernacular Religion: Varieties of Religiosity in the Nepali Diaspora', of which CNSUK is a partner.
His doctoral work at the International and Rural Development Department of University of Reading focused on the dynamics of social capital and community institutions, for which he carried out intensive fieldwork in southern Nepal. He was involved in an international survey to understand the relationship between higher education and professionalization of social work, which was carried out as a part of his Masters Degree at the Department of Social Work, University of Goteborg, Sweden, on which he obtained the distinction. Previously he obtained an MBA degree fromTribhuwan University Nepal. Between 2007 and 2010 he intensively participated in a large scale survey, called 'census of Nepalis in the UK' conducted by CNSUK with support from large network of Nepali organisations in the UK. In 2004-2005, he carried out a national survey on the state of community/social mobilisation in Nepal.
Previously he worked for 12 years in Nepal first as a civil servant at local government units and then as a community development worker, (sr) manager and researcher in various non-governmental projects including the ones supported by UNCDF, and DFID. He also has a teaching experience of over one and half years. Some of the publications are as follows:
List of publications
- Adhikari, K.P. (2010). Nepalese in the UK: A Glimpse. Motherland. CAT, UK [Nepali]
- Adhikari, K. P. and Goldey, P.A. (2010).Social Capital and its 'Downside': The Impact on Sustainability of Induced Community Based Organizations in Nepal in "Formal and Informal Institutions and Development. World Development Vol. 38 (2).[Access online]
- Dahal, G,R, and Adhikari, K.P. (2008). Trends and Impact of Forest Tenure Reforms in Asia: Cases from India, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Nepal and the Philippines. Forest and Livelihood Journal Vol. 7 (1)[Access online]
- Dahal, G.R. and Adhikari, K.P. (2008). Social Capital and Collective Action- the Case of Kalahan Forest Reserve in the Philippines. Collective Action and Property Rights (CAPRi) Working Paper 79. Washington, DC: IFPRI. [Access online]
- Basnet, S.R. and Adhikari, K.P (2007). Do Development Interventions Empower Rural Women? Women Empowerment through Income Generating Programmes in Nepal Journal of Global Management Research. December: 9-17. [Access online]
- Adhikari, K. P. and Risal, R. (2007). Securing the Future? An Exploration of Prevalence and Sustainability of Community Based Institutions in Nepal.ISTR Conference Volume V. California: ISTR. [Access online]
- Adhikari, K. P. (2006). A Research Note on Status and Challenges of Instutionlization of Community Mobilization for Development in Nepal: Mobilizing Agency’s Perspectives. Swabalamban for Liberation from Deprivation. March: 69-72. [Nepali]
- Adhikari, K. P. (2004). Sustainability of Community Based Organizations in Nepal: An Analysis from Agency’s Perspectives. Swabalamban for Liberation from Deprivation. December: 76-80. [Nepali]
- Adhikari, K. P. (1999). Marchwar Swabalamban Program: A Historical Achievement. Swabalamban for Liberation from Deprivation. 1(1):32-38. [Nepali]
Some short essays (with links to download)
2013 Nepalis in the United Kingdom- Exaggerated Population and Politics.Our Service- Souvenir of the Gulmi District Society UK. August 2013 (PP 16-18) [Nepali]
2013 Census Results: Adjusting Estimated Nepali Population in the UK. Europe's Nepali Patra Weekly. (334:16) (29 Jan-4 Feb 2013)
2013 Census Results: Demographic Confusions and Surprises Europe's Nepali Patra Weekly. (333:16) (22-28 Jan 2013)
2011 Shall we Write 'Nepali' or 'Nepalese' in the 2011 UK Census? Europe's Nepali Patra Weekly. (237:16) (12-18 Jan 2011)
2006 Nepalnews.com (Guest Column), 16 April. Election as the Part of Regressive Roadmap
2006 United We Blog for Decomcracy and Peace, 13 April. In Support of Democracy: Lets Salute the People in the Street!
2006 Nepalnews.com (Guest Column) 21 Feb. Moriarty, Maoist and the Nepal Conflict
2005 Nepalipost, 12 October. Empty Rhetoric of Good Governance
Telephone Directory 2015
Contact us to register your details freely or to sponser/advertise. It is going to be bigger in coverage, copies and circulation..
Please download the form in English and Nepali versions.
CNSUK Census Project 2008:
Find here: project details, survery questionnaires, PPT files, sharing workshop, list of donors and volunteers, photo galary, and more.
Vernacular Religion: Varieties of Religiosity in the Nepali Diaspora (Project 2009-2012)
CNSUK's recent publication Telephone Directory and Year Planner 2010